The National Galleries of Scotland regularly ask visitors for feedback and suggestions. After a Disabled Access event, they identified the need for a Changing Places toilet facility.
We worked alongside the National Galleries, PAMIS, and Portakabin to install a Changing Places facility that met the needs of disabled visitors and overcame the gallery’s building restrictions.
The end result is a standalone Changing Places toilet in the visitor car park. All the specialist equipment e.g. hoist system and changing bench were fitted into a Portaloo Accessible Plus unit. This was then installed on-site in just one day, with no major disruptions.
There was an added benefit of fitting the Changing Place outside the gallery. It means the facility can be accessed by anyone one the central Edinburgh area!
This is an innovative solution to the problem of protecting historical buildings whilst ensuring they are made inclusive and accessible to all. We are extremely pleased with the finished project and look forward to installing more modular Changing Places across the UK.
“We learned that because of the nature of caring for someone with complex needs, if one person is unable to visit a venue, because their personal care needs can’t be met, it means the whole family is excluded. This was something we wanted to do something about.”
– Meg Faragher, Communities Learning Coordinator for the National Galleries of Scotland
“There are very few Changing Places toilets available in Scotland, only six of these are at museums. To have a facility at the National Galleries of Scotland is so important as it ensures that people with profound and complex disabilities are able access a cultural venue.”
– Fiona Souter, Information and Inclusive Communities Director at PAMIS
Key Objectives & Project Scope
- A fully accessible toilet facility which meets the requirements to be registered as a Changing Place.
- Quick construction to have the facility ready for visitors as soon as possible.
- No internal construction work – the Nation Galleries of Scotland site is a listed building.
Products & Services Provided
- Full Changing Places package, including:
- 1 H-frame overhead hoist system.
- 1 AirRise200 hoist unit.
- 1 height-adjustable changing bench, wall-mounted.
- 1 height-adjustable washbasin.
- 1 peninsular toilet.
- 1 privacy screen, retractable.
- dropdown grab rails for beside the toilet.
- vertical grab rails.
- 120” Wide paper roll dispenser.
- 1 hand towel dispenser.
- 1 soap dispenser.
- 1 colostomy shelf.
- 1 full height mirror.
- 3 coat hooks.
- 1 sling hook.
- 1 sanitary waste bin.
- 1 general waste bin.
- 1 electric hand dryer.
- Installation for all equipment.